When I first started to help my first amputee client with phantom limb pain I really didn’t understand what I was dealing with.
The more the client relaxed the worse the problem became. It was as if the stump – affectionately known as “Arthur Leg” (Half a leg) had taken on a mind of its own. My client showed typical scouse gallows humour.
There are different aspects of Hypnosis for phantom limb phenomena.
- Management of the actual pain
- Managing the anticipation of that pain
- Managing your emotional attitude and response to the pain
- Stimulating the Subconscious mind to get the brain to respond differently with regards to stimulating the severed nerves
- Re-training the mind / the brain to behave differently
There are no guarantees with regards to any pain management regime. Some people benefit from the techniques learned and others need hard drugs – such is the subjective nature of pain.